Printed from the Merit Badge Center, Philippines - http://www.meritbadge.org.ph/
- Explain the nature of soil, its texture, its need of water, of air, and of plant and animal life; what the soil does for the plant, and how soil may be improved and conserved.
- Do the following:
- Prepare a seedbed and test the germination of three (3) chosen varieties of 100 seeds of each variety.
- Identify and describe ten (10) common weeds in the locality and tell how best to eliminate them.
- Identify six (6) common insect pests; tell what plants they usually infest and how best to control them.
- Have a practical knowledge of hoeing, plowing, harrowing, the use of a rake and a roller, irrigating and raining, planting and harvesting and the purposes of each. Describe the implements used in each case.
- Tell how plants are propagated by seeds, roots, cuttings, and grafts. Explain where plants get their food and how they grow.
- Name and identify ten (10) common birds in the locality, and state their value to the farmer.
- Tell what part the carabao plays in present-day farming.
- Explain how farming may be modernized and what steps are now being taken by the government to attain this end. Tell the advantages of modernized farming.
Bird Watch Dot PH - http://www.birdwatch.ph/
Department of Agriculture - http://www.da.gov.ph/welcome.html
Gov.PH Agriculture - http://www.gov.ph/cat_agriculture/default.asp
Insects and Pests - http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Pests/pests.htm
Philippine-Sino Center for Agricultural Technology - http://www.info.com.ph/~philscat/
Plant Propagation Chart - http://www.crfg.org/tidbits/proptable.html
Seed Germination - http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/G/Germination.html
Worksheet - http://www.mbcenter.org/pub/ws/ws_agriculture.pdf