Printed from the Merit Badge Center, Philippines - http://www.meritbadge.org.ph/
- Present evidence that you have cared for a pet for four months. Get the approval of your Troop Leader/Outfit Advisor before you start.
- Prepare and explain a plan for the management of a farm animal. Show what must be done to prevent illness, blemishes, and defects.
- Tell the symptoms of, and explain how to care for two of the following:
- Dogs - distemper and rabies
- Carabaos - exhaustion from heat, and anthrax
- Hogs - cholera, poisoning, ticks, and foot and mouth diseases
- Cows - milk fever and prussic acid poisoning
- Horses - Lameness and exhaustion from heat
- Sheep and Goats - foot and mouth diseases, and anthrax
- Show how to treat the following:
- A broken bone
- A sprain
- Serious bleeding
- An open sore
- Do any one of the following:
- Help take care of a sick or hurt animal for at least four days.
- Work with local groups to help animals.
- Work with local groups in preventing an infectious disease to which farm animals are subject.
Animal First Aid - http://www.cftech.com/BrainBank/OTHERREFERENCE/ANIMALWORLD/AnimFirstAid.html
NetVet Veterinary Resources - http://netvet.wustl.edu
Veterinary Inforamtion Network - http://www.vin.com/
Yahoo! Pets - http://pets.yahoo.com/pets/
Worksheet - http://www.mbcenter.org/pub/ws/ws_petcare.pdf